Friday, February 15, 2013

I had a great morning in the sportzal a few days ago. I was doing a back workout, which is one of my favorite workouts. Lately the gym has been quite empty in the mornings, and it is usually just me and a few other people. We're all regulars, so we all shake hands whenever we walk in (it's a Russian custom), and sometimes we get a conversation going between sets (a great time to brush up on my Russian cursing).

On this morning, however, one guy who I see all the time apparently decided that I was worth talking to. Every gym has its pecking order, and this guy is definitely at the top of the AM pecking order at Akademia Tela in Dobroe. This guy is huge, and everybody else definitely makes way for him. It turns out that he served in Spetsnaz--Russia's special forces. He gave me some pointers on my form and workout program (advice is always appreciated). He also told me all about the process for getting into Spetsnaz, which is pretty intense. According to him, you have to withstand a few rounds of what amounts to mixed fighting with some of the best fighters in the special forces. After telling me all this, he noted that I could apply to join if I wanted to. I'm nearly positive that he knows that I'm American, but I didn't bother to tell him that I would have to give up my citizenship to join Spetsnaz. That's not gonna happen. Although, after watching this video, I have to admit that those Spetsnaz guys can do some cool stuff. Check it out:

Spetsnaz Video

(The video is of a police special response unit doing a demonstration in Kazan, Russia). 

No comments:

Post a Comment