Sunday, April 21, 2013

Russia is not known for its respect for the environment, and lately I have really noticed the nasty air pollution here in Vladimir. Vladimir isn't a big industrial center, but there are several factories and the giant city heat plant. There are also tons of cars and trucks, and many of them have very little in the way of emissions controls. Sometimes a big truck will go by and cloud the entire street in thick, black smoke. Also, spring has arrived, and the weather has drastically improved here, but we haven't gotten any rain, which means that all the dirt and grit that collected all winter is dry and dusty. Every time a car drives by, all this dust goes airborne. At night you can see just how dirty the air is because car headlights cut beams through this foggy, dusty haze.

I have definitely noticed that the bad air has had an effect on me. I've been running and biking outside more often now that the weather is nice, and after runs I always cough a lot. I can't imagine all that nasty dust is good to be breathing. Hopefully we'll get some rain soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment