Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Each culture has its list of topics that are on the table for discussion and its list of things you'd better not discuss, at least not in polite company. Raunchy topics notwithstanding, there is one common question in Russia that would be jarring to most Americans. Americans: Imagine you're getting your hair cut, and the conversation turns to your job. The barber would really be crossing some lines if he asked you how much money you make. I think most Americans would be very uncomfortable in that situation, and few would give an exact answer. I remember a high-caliber public-relations consultant telling my Cleveland Foundation intern class that you should never, ever ask someone about their salary--it's none of your business how much money they make.  

In Russia, however, it's a different story. Salary is totally a topic open for discussion, and, in fact, it's one of the first questions people ask. I've had a lot of conversations that go like this: "Oh so you teach English. How much money do you make?" My American sensibilities want to scream out "it's none of your business!" but Russians wouldn't understand. I usually give a ballpark answer, but sometime people press me to give an exact number (talk about rude--at least in America). I'm used to the salary questions, but they still make me uncomfortable.   

No comments:

Post a Comment