Sunday, February 2, 2014

On my very last day in Rome, I decided to go to Trastevere. My guide in the Forum recommended it as Rome's most authentic neighborhood--the place where Romans go to stroll. Unfortunately it was raining that day, which made for somewhat unpleasant strolling, but I enjoyed Trastevere's winding streets nonetheless. I got lunch at a pizzeria that could very well have been in Cleveland--it was decorated with rock posters and had a bare-florescent-bulb charm that would fit in well in the Forest City. The broccoli-cheese pizza I got was spectacular.

I then crossed the Tiber and entered the area near Rome's former Jewish ghetto, which today is full of expensive shops and cafes. I found an open-air market, and I bought some insanely potent truffle-infused olive oil. Then I made my way back to the Pantheon and got an espresso at a street cafe and just took in the scene. The rain-glazed square was bustling with tourists, and I was reflecting on a great trip. It was a good way to end.

My flights back to Moscow were uneventful, and the plane from Vienna to Moscow was only maybe a third full. There was a little complication with my visa--I wasn't let on the plane initially and had to wait while a security officer entered my information into his computer to verify that I was legally allowed to return to Russia--and all the while I was thinking how much I didn't want to go back. Cold, grey, unfriendly, bland Russia just didn't seem very appealing after the feast that was Rome.

But I'm very happy that I got on that plane. I have some great classes; a teacher from last year is back for this semester, which has made for a lot more fun in and out of the office; and I'm enjoying my last few months here in Vladimir. It's amazing how the time has flown. And, pitiful salary notwithstanding, my job here has enriched me so much; my trip to Rome is just the icing on the cake.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment