Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I've always loved running, and, although I've taken a break from long-distance running in the past few years to focus more on bodybuilding, long runs hold a special place in my heart. Lately distance running has been calling my name, so I decided to train for the Blossom Time run, a five-mile run in my hometown on Memorial Day. I've been running a few times a week to build up my base again, and that means I've been running around my neighborhood, which can be a funny experience. 

Running for fitness is a lot common in Russia than in the US, although you do occasionally see runners out pounding the pavement (there's a small cadre of runners in my neighborhood). The sidewalks in my neighborhood are very wide (maybe about ten feet in width), so there's plenty of room for runners and walkers to mix, but people are often surprised to see someone out running, and I've definitely gotten some strange looks. Also, Russians are, on the whole, deathly afraid of cold, so people wear winter coats and hats on 55-degree, sunny days, and I got some really disapproving glares from old ladies when I went running on one of the few warm days we've had. In fact, one lady clucked at me and muttered, "Не холодно, что ли?" (not cold, is it?), and another looked at my short sleeves and athletic pants and said, "Рано еще" (it's too early). 

I love to have music when I'm running, and I feel like Russian rock is ideal for running around my neighborhood of Soviet apartment blocks. Here's a song from my running playlist by the legendary rock group Ariya. It's called Раскачаем этот мир (we rock this world), and it definitely is a great pump-up song. See what you think. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment