Sunday, January 20, 2013

Yesterday was the Orthodox holiday Kreshcheniye. On this day, people recall baptism by jumping into lakes and rivers that have been blessed by a priest. I wasn't planning on plunging into an icy body of water--it was all of about 5 degrees Fahrenheit and snowing steadily--but one of the other teachers convinced me. Just before midnight on Friday night, we went with some friends of my host family to a little village outside of Vladimir. There was a hole cut into the ice on a little lake, and there were maybe 50 people clustered around a big bonfire. A bearded Orthodox priest soon went out and blessed the water, and then he plunged in.

I wasn't exactly looking forward to jumping into the water, but I figured that it was too late to turn back. I had heard of this holiday before, and I always thought it would be a cool experience. So, I stripped down to my bathing suit, stood in line for a few minutes, and then it was my turn to go. I kicked off my sandals and lowered myself into the water. I sometimes take cold showers (sometimes it's my choice; sometimes the hot water is turned off in the gym), so I am somewhat accustomed to the feeling of frigid water, but this was more intense. I quickly dunked my whole body under the water three times--that's what you're supposed to do--and scrambled back out. Talk about invigorating. My body was in some kind of shock, but I felt very warm. I hurried back up to the bonfire and dried off and put my clothes on. I didn't feel cold, although my teeth were chattering and I couldn't feel my feet. We drank some tea and warmed up by the fire and then headed back to the car.

I felt great the next morning, and I would totally do it again. Here are some pictures of the whole thing. My host family's friends took more pictures and have some of me in the water, so I'll post those when I get them.





No comments:

Post a Comment