Saturday, August 4, 2012

It's hard to believe how fast this summer flew by. I know this is supposed to be a blog about Russia, but, because I'm not there yet, I'll reflect a little on how the summer went. For anyone who doesn't know, I was part of the Cleveland Foundation summer internship program, which is was a truly awesome experience. The program consisted of 17 interns this year, and we were placed at non-profits and government agencies throughout Greater Cleveland.

Keeping with my urban planning passion, I interned with the planning department of Shaker Heights, Cleveland's most historic and well-known suburb. Shaker (as the locals call it) was one of the country's first planned cities and has amazing architecture. My job there was to implement a on-street bike routes plan that was developed a few years ago, but the city didn't have the staff to make the plan a reality. Bike routes seem really simple--just put up some signs, maybe paint some sharrows--but there really are a lot of aspects and details involved. So over this summer, I made myself a bike-routes expert, learned that traffic signs cost way more than you would think, and conducted and attended focus groups for bike infrastructure. The routes plan proved to be a bigger undertaking than even my colleagues in the planning office figured, so unfortunately I didn't get to see it become a reality; we are applying for grant money, and that can take quite a while. It looks like Shaker will get its bike routes before I come back, though.

The internship program itself was amazing. First, you have to understand the kind of weight the Cleveland Foundation carries in this city. As the nation's oldest and second-largest community foundation, the Cleveland Foundation has its hands in pretty much anything innovative or community-focused in the region. So, as our coordinator told us a few times, just identifying ourselves as part of the Cleveland Foundation can open some pretty lofty doors. We had a 2-hour candid meeting Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson, an off-the-cuff discussion with Foundation president Ronn Richard, and met many other highly placed individuals. Each week, we had a professional development seminar at one of the intern sites--an experience that further introduced us to the people who are working to better Cleveland.  

So, although I'm getting very excited for my next big adventure, my enthusiasm is tempered by the experience I had this summer. Part of me is sad to leave; I got to meet people who are working--with passion--to build a stronger, smarter, and healthier Cleveland, and their enthusiasm is contagious. In many ways, Cleveland is the underdog, battered by the economy, laughed at by the world, but that makes it all the more exciting to see a great movement for good happening right on the potholed streets of my hometown. This summer, I found countless reasons for optimism about Cleveland's future, and I know I'll find a better version of the city when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment