Saturday, August 18, 2012

It's laundry day for me, but here in Russia, things are a bit more complicated than in the US of A. You see, dryers are non-existent here, so doing laundry takes some advance planning. Fortunately, my host family has a very nice, modern washer. But I've asked my host family, and they and their friends have never even heard of dryer (they all agreed that it would make life quite a bit easier). Everything has to dry on a drying rack, so it can take a day or two for a pair of jeans to be wearable. A word for the wise: Don't wash all your underwear on Sunday night and expect to be comfortable on Monday morning.  I've heard that the lack of dryers is common in Europe in general, and it certainly is the more environmentally friendly option. Moreover, even if a Russian family wanted to buy one, apartment buildings aren't set up with vent piping anyway. The American Home has probably the only residential dryer in Vladimir, but, in order to use it, I would have to drag all my laundry half way across the city on the bus, which is even less convenient. So consider the how good we have it in the USA the next time you gripe about doing laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment