Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Nothing like a good old Lada. I love these little old cars, which are still quite common. I can't say for sure how old this car is because Lada (the main Russian automaker) made this same car with very few modifications for 30 years (production of this model ran from 1982 until this spring). There are many other models of Lada out there, but this one--the Lada 2107--has been the face of the Russian car industry for decades. 

Some technical specifics. The Lada 2107 is equipped with a 1.6-liter, 76 hp gasoline engine that can propel the sedan to a blistering maximum speed of 109 mph. Also, it is not equipped with power steering. I'm sure these cars don't meet any US emission standards--they have a characteristic unburned-fuel smell when they drive by, and on rainy days it is always amazing to see the little river of leaking oil that comes out of them. 

On the whole, the Lada 2107 is not a fancy car, but it is a workhorse; these cars have transported whole generations of Russians (and Soviets before them). I really do like these quirky little cars, and I would love to buy one and ship it back to the USA. I'm positive I would never see anyone else with another Lada. 






No comments:

Post a Comment