Tuesday, September 11, 2012

When I woke up today, I noticed that it was September 11. While I rolled out of bed, I reflected a little on that ominous day and expected that my 30 seconds of thought would be all I heard about 9/11 here in Russia. And I was wrong. My host mom asked me how I felt on this anniversary of the tragedy, and then when I got to the American Home this afternoon, we were told that a TV news crew wanted to interview us.

The crew was from the Vladimir branch of Rossiya--one of the main TV news channels. We placed flowers on a rock sculpture that was left by someone--no one knows who--right 9/11. Immediately after the attacks, Vladimir residents showed their condolences by placing flowers on the porch of the American Home; right after the attacks, the whole porch was piled with flowers. Then, the crew interviewed us around the kitchen table.

I didn't expect this level of attention about 9/11 today, and it heartens me to know that, despite our differences and political squabbles, Russia sympathizes with us and remembers this tragic day. Here is the clip that played on the evening news here in Vladimir:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ah3YGctT5k&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment