Friday, September 7, 2012

Wow. I'm exhausted from teaching my first classes today. But, more than that, I'm really happy at how they went. I taught two classes today, one from 4 to 5:30 and one from 7:30 to 9. The main goal of the class was to get students talking and meeting each other, so I went light on the grammar, and it was all review. My first group was 13 teenagers, and I have to say I was nervous for how the class would go and whether I would have to deal with behavior problems. My fears were totally unfounded; the group was very well behaved and most of the students were active and knowledgeable. They breezed through the activities and grammar practice with little trouble, and I was able to add some cultural tidbits, such as the difference between what we Americans obsess over from August until February and what the rest of the world knows as football (and what we call soccer). It was fun, and I couldn't ask for a better group.

My second group was all adults, ranging in age from maybe 30 to 50. This group was a little more chatty between themselves, and so I can already tell that I will have to be a bit of a taskmaster to keep lessons moving. They knew all the material as well, although it was a little harder extracting it from them. There are a few very conversational students in the group, so it was tempting to just ask them all the questions, but there are also a few weaker students, so I have to make sure that I don't neglect the quieter students who tend to suffer in silence and need the practice.

My second lesson was bit tougher because I was teaching in a different room; my first lesson took place not at the American Home but at the nearby Vladimir Institute of Business, and there I was in a big classroom with plenty of space. Two groups had already had class in this smaller room at the American Home by the time my 7:30 class started, and the room was stiflingly hot and stuffy. I tried to turn on the air conditioner, but my students immediately protested--Russians have an intense fear of cold air and drafts. There is a saying "heat doesn't harm" (жара не ломает), and indoor temperatures can be unbearably hot in this country. I'm not sure how many more sweaty, airless classes I can do though; my students might have to embrace the American culture of air conditioning if they want to have an American teacher.

I am lucky that I only am teaching one level this semester, so I will present the same lesson three times tomorrow. By 9pm on Friday, I will know this lesson by heart!  

No comments:

Post a Comment