Sunday, July 7, 2013

Moscow

Nothing like a weekend in the big city. I went to Moscow for a few days to visit some of my colleagues who just moved there, and we had a great time. The real pretext for the trip was visit to a doctor, but after that was over, I had three days with no obligations in one of the world's largest cities. We visited all kinds of restaurants and bars, walked all around the city (I can't imagine how many miles we logged), and even saw some fireworks on the Fourth.

Moscow feels completely different from Vladimir. There is palpable energy in Moscow, and people dress differently and act differently. Whereas Vladimir is kind of a sleepy outpost that rolls up the sidewalks at 11pm, Moscow is constantly active, perpetually on the move. There is diversity; there are options; there is stuff to do. Of course, Moscow is very expensive, and the relentless pace and noise can wear a person out, but the converse--provincial boredom--is, in my opinion, worse.

Being in Moscow definitely gave me some cause to pause and think about getting the heck out of this little, grey city, but I do enjoy living here in Vladimir. It's easier to get to know people here, and the city is more human-scaled, if often ugly as sin. My measly paycheck doesn't get devoured here, although I see my friends who moved to Moscow making three times more than I do, and the cost of living there is nowhere even close to three times more. The nice thing is that the big city is just a three-hour train ride away, and now I have quite a few people to visit there. The next time I need my Starbucks fix (it's the only decent coffee in a 1,000-mile radius) and and bored to tears with life in Vladimir, I can easily get to Moscow even for just an afternoon.

Anyway here are some pictures of my trip:

 Went to a concert at cool bar right in the center of town. 

Appropriate wear for the Fourth of July


Really nice park 


You don't see this in Vladimir

Enormous mall


Giant martryoshkas in the huge mall  


Fountains at VDNKh 


We rented a little cart thing and a bike a VDNKh--good way to spend a warm afternoon 


Red Square was all closed for a concert 


Bike rental along the Boulevard Ring. This is a new thing in Moscow, and the city planner in me loves it. 


Statue to Esenin  


Barge moving up the Moscow River


Cathedral of Christ the Savior  


Some sort of yoga/Buddhist thing. Definitely don't see this in Vladimir 


At Gorky Park 


Hanging out by the lake 


A beach--Moscow style 


The "not boring" garden


Watering the garden 


Dedicated area for CrossFit? I love this city.  

No comments:

Post a Comment